Friday, July 10, 2009

"The Jabez Prayer"

"Now Jabez was more honorable than his brothers. His mother had named him Jabez, saying, "I gave birth to him in pain." Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, "Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain." And God granted his request."

The first time I had ever heard about or read this prayer was back in May 2001, around the time Bruce Wilkinson released the book titled "The Prayer of Jabez, Breaking Through to the Blessed Life."

I remember reading on page 33 where he challenges a group of students at a university in California, USA to ask God for big. He said, "You should ask God for Trinidad... and a DC-10." It was but one sentence and it forever changed the way I looked at praying.

I realized until that point, my prayers, the prayers I'd been taught to pray as I grew up in church, the prayers I heard others praying around me most of the time... they were too small. And because of their smallness, they were in fact a reflection of how we (I specifically) saw God. That the biggest I could expect was a feeble answer to a feeble prayer that affected me, myself and I and not much or anyone else of consequence.

Yet, when I read my bible, there was this God who drew out an entire nation of slaves from the nation in which they were enslaved to. I saw that this same God used one man to change the lives of millions, to birth forward a nation and release the awesomeness of Jehovah into the earth realm.

And here I was going, "God... please fix my life. It sucks."
True, at that time, it totally did. I was very much at the start of reaping a previous 7 year season of bad fruits that I'd so diligently sown much to my ignorance and youth. Though, much else was due to my own stubbornness, pride and anger which took a deep root in my heart. Yet, even in those dreadful seasons of reaping and sowing, God is merciful and his grace is abounding.

He used every one of those difficult days to teach me to pray. 

He uses Mr. Wilkinson's book to fuel that process along all the more. 

I remember after reading that page 33... I stopped what I was doing, and just sat there going, "God.. these guys asked your for a whole country. A whole island... uh... I'm on an island. I'm in Japan. I'm already here so I don't need a DC-10... but I think, I just may be crazy bold enough to ask you for something."

I continued on something in this vein, "Alright God.... whatever happens... I'll stay in Japan. But, the deal is, you give me Japan if I stay, you give me Japan. Ah... no. Actually, I'm changing my mind. I want Asia. Asking you for only Japan is too small. I want Asia. So, that's the deal. I stay here... endure this horrible hell that I live in right now... make it through (IF I make it through to the other side) and I want Asia in exchange."

"Oh.. and God... we'll need more people. So, send them on the DC-10's or 747's or boats or whatever. Just sent them here too."

Yeah. That's the deal I made with God. Crazy hu? 
Tell me about it. But, as I said my life sucked- well... it was way beyond that. It was a living hell and I figured I didn't have much else to loose by asking for some of the most outrageous things I could think up. At the time, asking God for Asia was as close to impossible as I could dream up.

And then, I prayed.... I think as desperately as Jabez himself... "Oh God.... that you would see fit to bless me. I know I've done so much to screw up that I don't even deserve to come before you with this request but, the fact I'm here now asking has got to mark for something. Right? I mean.... you can either kill me now or answer me. There's not much else that can occur."

"And... this territory thing. I don't know what Jabez was referring to when he asked you for increase but, I know ... well, I think I know what I'm asking you for. I want Asia. I want Japan and I want Asia. Somehow, to ask for anything less just seems like an insult to who you are. I want to have my own business so I can give things to people who need them. I want your hand AND your favor to be with me. I won't be able to do anything unless your hand of protection is over me and your favor is with me. And God... I NEED you to keep me from evil... from harm. For my own sake and for the sake of others- that I might not cause pain either to them or to yourself."

We now have a HOP in Tokyo. (Which was born out of much pain and tearful contending.) We are talking about starting to sow into some ministries in other Asian countries... God is bringing connections weekly world wide with other HOPs and ministries... He is indeed answering this prayer.

The next one I suppose ought to be, "Abba... show us what to pray for next.... and how to pray for more specific things inside of this request for Japan & Asia to become your territory. Continue to displace the thrones, powers, authorities, principalities and all others who set themselves up above Your Name in this region that this may be known among the nations as the dwelling place- the territory of the Most High."

Grace & glory to you as we content for His will over the Nations and the Peoples of the earth.
Thank you Abba for who you are!
jg.


No comments:

Post a Comment